NFC Technology - Benefits And Use Cases
by Smitesh Singh, on Mar 24, 2022 5:24:56 PM
Mobile devices these days have turned into quick payment devices causing users to dismiss their cash as well as cards entirely. The technology making this possible is NFC. NFC is the abbreviation for near-field communication. This technology works like Bluetooth, which means it required two different devices in close proximity to one another in order to function. One needs to have an NFC reader along with a mobile app for the smartphone.
So how does the NFC technology exactly work?
NFC is part of RFID or radio frequency identification. It employs a frequency of 13.56MHz which works for close-range interaction between devices. This is where devices need to be close to each other - typically, inside two inches of area. When a certain contactless action is triggered, devices start to exchange encrypted data with the devices until the intended result is achieved. NFC technology is usually much more secure than credit and debit cards. It is also a fast, secure, and innovative solution for the mobile-driven era.
NFC use cases for mobile apps
- Monitoring employee attendance: A number of enterprises make use of identity cards or access cards that approve the employee entrance and mark attendance at workplaces and institutions. The hassle of carrying and developing these cards can be done away with, and mobile devices can be used in conjunction with NFC technology. NFC technology can significantly enhance your security as well as authorization processes to optimize the management of employee attendance. As NFC always shares data in encrypted form, it can be effectively used for organizations that need a great security level.
- Management of assets: Another critical use case in NFC technology is tracking and management of assets. With the help of NFC technology, employees can:
- Scan RFID tags on stock items through mobile apps for identification
- Track the return process of an item
- Use NFC tags in storage rooms to check if they were validated.
- Verification of medications: An effective way to make sure that medications and their authenticity are checked is by putting NFC tags on them and using mobile apps to scan them. Patients, nurses, and practitioners can scan these tags via this app to ensure that the medication is unopened before and that it’s 100% authentic. Additionally, an NFC tag can contain data on the recommended dosages, the expiry dates, side effects, along with other important details.
- Collecting information: Just like a QR code, NFC can obtain data from NFC tags placed on various items t scan them for respective details. These details can range from prices, details on an event, data on medications inside drug stores, etc.
The benefits of App for NFC
There is no denying fact that the NFC technology across mobile devices is fast as well as secure. But what are the business benefits it offers? Here we enlist some of the benefits that NFC technology offers to enterprises:
- Security: The data that is exchanged amongst the devices is consistently changing, unlike the static data that is stored in a stripe card. Moreover, the encrypted nature of NFC data makes it hard for hackers to steal as well as decipher it.
- Speed: Anther benefit of NFC technology is that it is much quicker than EMV. EMV chips can take some time given the nature of these cards, but NFC transactions are done within a couple of seconds.
- Power consumption: NFC is a bit slow as compared to Bluetooth devices, but it holds a considerable advantage with its tendency for lesser power consumption. It might be unsuitable for some use cases but it remains perfect for mobile devices as well as devices that don't have that much operating power.
NFC is a transformational technology that can be implemented across numerous industries, ranging from warehousing, logistics to healthcare, finances, etc. With its growing popularity, it will get more imbibed in our lives with all important operations done within seconds through our mobile devices. To get started, get in touch with a mobile app development company.