How does browserless automation testing help you improve efficiency?
by Sonia Jeyaseelan, on Aug 29, 2019 6:20:53 PM
Estimated reading time: 2 mins
Testing is an integral part of a development environment. However, little to no time is left for testing during a project delivery leading to bugs in the production environment. Shift-Left is increasingly becoming the norm especially in big ticket projects. A concept of Agile methodology, Shift-Left is essential for building a highly productive development environment. ‘Browserless automation testing’ is an emerging testing methodology, where most of the limitations of conventional testing are overcome as the workflow is targeted for testing instead of the user interface.
Limitations of conventional testing methods:
- Shorter testing window available resulting in no working software produced till quite late in the development lifecycle
- High amounts of risk of carrying forward bugs in the production instance
- Unsuitable for projects, where requirements change frequently or are defined just-in-time
- High development time resulting in higher development costs
What is browserless automation testing?
Browserless automation is a concept, where a capability is developed to test the workflow of the system by consuming the services without using the user interface (UI) of the system; for example: MS Dynamics CRM application.
Browserless automation testing is getting wider attention in the industry as it helps remove the dependency on UI during Automation Testing. As a result, you can ensure:
- Creation of automation scripts in parallel with project development phase
- Fast verification of the system performance
- Quick response of automated tests
- Dynamic creation and use of existing data and test data
- Early identification of defects during the development phase
Benefits and impact:
As this testing methodology directly interacts with the workflow, it ensures:
- Easy design, implementation, and maintenance
- Running more tests simultaneously in real-time
- Improved quality of tests and significantly reduced testing time
- Quick identification of the exact cause of the defect and even faster resolution
- High flexibility of testing scope enhancement across all modules and workflows
- Increased quality and reliability of the product outcome
- Increase in confidence of customer, business users, and end users
In a world of lightning fast product releases, bottlenecks in testing can be expensive both in terms of cost and the quality of the released product. Browserless automation testing overcomes the gaps in most of the conventional testing methodologies as it targets the workflow instead of the user interface.